Monday, January 17, 2011

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly


Amelia got several books for Christmas that I've swiped and begun reading. I just simply could not put down "Revolution" by Jennifer Donnelly (given to Amelia by Uncle Doug and Aunt Hazel). I love a good Young Adult novel and this one was one of the best I've read recently.

It's the story of a teen girl, Andi, an mentally unstable girl from a highly gifted private school in Brooklyn. She is suffering the death of her little brother in which she thinks she's to blame. To avoid being expelled from school, she must complete the outline of her Senior thesis. Her father insists that she go to Paris with him to complete the dreaded task. In Paris she discovers the diary of a revolution-era French teen and their stories weave together in a suspense-filled tale.

Although I did get a bit irritated at Andi's depression, I found the character to be very relatable and the story especially struck home for me having an almost teen girl and a younger son. I really enjoyed the descriptions of Paris in the late 1700's and the horrors that people experienced in those times.

I'd give this book a solid 4 out of 5 stars for it's originality, great descriptions and suspense.

No comments:

Post a Comment