Friday, February 11, 2011

Wir Sind Helden

I never thought I could ever find German to be an attractive language, but the German band Wir Sind Helden (We Are Heroes) has definitely changed my mind. As Americans we might think of German popular music as David Hasslehoff, Polka, or the Scorpions. Wir Sind Helden is like none of the above.

Lead Singer Judith Holofernes has songs whose soaring vocals you wish you understood literally because the emotion always comes through. It may be the wishful longing for a kiss from someone who can't speak their feelings in Nur Ein Wort(translated-I see that you're thinking-I think that you're feeling-I feel that you're wanting/willing-but I don't hear you.). It may be chastising a French Girl having problems with the way German boys flirt in Aurelie (translated-Aurélie it's never going to work this way-You expect far too much-The Germans flirt pretty sublty...). Or the common rail against being told to have a good day in Guten Tag. Yeah you won't know the lyrics if you don't know German but once you have these wonderful pop songs going through your head, you might end up like me searching the internet for a translation of the songs you might find yourself singing.

With four albums out since their first in 2002 and the last in the fall of 2010. The first three are available on iTunes. The older ones are more bouncy and the newest is more thoughtful but there are many great songs among those albums. Maybe not everything, but most of it.

I personally would start with the songs above along with one of their more recent ones like Was Uns Bieden Gehort or Alles. If you want to hear a band that is really good, but you haven't heard of only because they don't sing in English Wir Sind Helden might be the Heroes your looking for. I give them four out of five umlauts.

No comments:

Post a Comment